Moving?..cardboard or plastic boxes/bins?
Where to get them and what do they cost?
- Cardboard boxes are available at moving co and storage facilities.
- Cardboard boxes may cost $1.50 extra small to $10 for extra large depending on the thickness of the cardboard. ie dish barrel.
- You may be able to get free boxes on sites such as Facebook and Craigslist.
- Rent eco-friendly plastic moving boxes from websites in KC from Bins4Moves.com at or below the cost of new cardboard boxes. Each bin 2 weeks $1.25-$1.50
- Select companies will deliver plastic boxes to your old home and then pick-up them from your new one from your new place.
- Plastic moving boxes are ready to go, saving time.
Easy to pack
- Cardboard boxes are available in different sizes. Helpful when packing a variety of different weight and sized items.
- Plastic boxes are sturdy and provide extra protection for fragile items.
- Plastic moving boxes can be opened and closed multiple times and locked with a cable tie when ready.
- Plastic boxes have inserts designed for dishes (plates and cups) protecting and significantly speeding up the packing process.
- Empty plastic moving containers stack nested - convenient!
- There are speciality cardboard moving boxes for TVs, other electronics, mirrors or pictures and more.
- Cardboard wardrobe boxes have bars for hanging your dresses, coats and other clothes.
- Plastic boxes are perfect for items that conform to their shape, such as pillows, blankets or stuffed animals.
- Plastic boxes do not require tape. Secure with cable locks..
- Mark plastic boxes using erase-able markers or vinyl labels.
Stacking and storage
- Get a dolly specifically designed to fit plastic boxes and 1 for each floor.
- Use the dolly to move stacked and packed plastic boxes.
- Plastic boxes are designed to stack - typically 5 high up to 250 lbs. Each plastic box sits slightly inside the plastic box below creating stability.
- Plastic boxes will prevent anything spilled from with-in a box from damaging other boxes.
- Plastic boxes will not tear or rip open if dropped. Professional quality plastic boxes will not crack or break.
- Cardboard boxes designed for moving are durable.
- Plastic boxes are more durable due to re-use design and materials.
- Plastic moving boxes are not damaged by water, if it happens to rain on moving day.
- A plastic box has handles to minimize the chance of a drop.
- Plastic moving boxes are designed to be reused many times.
- Many plastic containers are made from recycled materials.
- Select cardboard boxes are made from recycled material and are biodegradable.
- Boxes can also be reused or recycled after you’re done with them, and they are biodegradable.
- Free cardboard boxes may have insects (silverfish, termites, roaches) as they eat paper. Free is not a deal if you have to call an exterminator after your move.
- Insects do not eat plastic containers.
After the Move
- Rented plastic boxes are typically picked up saving time and a trip.
- Because you own cardboard, you can take your time unpacking.
- Flat cardboard boxes are bulky, awkward to stack, and take up room.
- Plastic boxes can stack nested saving time when done, important for apartment residents.
Cardboard or plastic? Do what's best for you! If your in KC, check out Bins4Moves.com